This Privacy Notice is issued in compliance with GDPR and seeks to explain:
- Who we are;
- All website addresses covered by this Privacy Notice
- How we collect your personal data
- Why we collect your personal data
- How long we hold your personal data for
- Requests, Enquiries, and Unsubscribing
- Complaints Procedure
Originally formed in 1991, The Bereavement Register was founded on a single principle - to clean up the Direct Marketing industry by enabling companies to rid their databases of out of date and inaccurate information.
The Bereavement Register® was launched by REaD Group in 2000 to help put a stop to direct mail sent after someone has died. REaD Group Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 02959244 and we have our registered office at The Pavilion, 1 Newhams Row, Bermondsey Street, London SE1 3UZ. Our VAT number is 821 9580 21
We are fully registered under the Data Protection Act 2018 ("DPA") and comply with European Union data protection laws, regulations, principles and, wherever possible, recommended best practice. To ensure we comply with all protection the DPA affords to you we have set out below how we intend to utilise the information provided by you when you register a deceased individual. Further information on the DPA is available on the Internet at www.ico.gov.uk.
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
Information you provide to us
- By filling in the form on our website.
- By corresponding with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; Registration forms
Information we collect about you
- When you provide us the Deceased Details, we also ask you to give us some of your personal details as well such as your name, your address, your relationship to the deceased and other information ("Personal Details"). These Personal Details are used for purposes of verification and we may need to contact you to verify the Deceased Details. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Other people's personal data
The information you give us, or that we collect through your use of our service, may contain your or another person's personal data. If you provide us with information about another person, you confirm that they have appointed you to act for them, they consent to you providing their personal data to us and any processing of their personal data and that you have informed them of our identity and the purpose for which their personal data will be processed - as set out in this Privacy Notice.
The personal information you submit for yourself, are used for purposes of verification only and we may need to contact you to verify the Deceased Details. You have the option at any time to write to REaD Group to request that we remove your details from our database. We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity.
Your Personal Details will be kept confidential by REaD Group and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies and will not be passed on to external companies, sponsors and advertisers. We will not sell, transfer or assign your Personal Details to another entity unless this is done in the context of the sale of all or part of our business.
Other people's personal data
When you register the details of a deceased individual ("Deceased Details") on the Site, the Deceased Details are entered into a secure data bank. Any company holding a current licence with us wishing to mail out details of its products and services will then be able to check their mailing list against the Deceased Details held on The Bereavement Register®. This will inform the company that your loved one has passed away and help prevent any future unwanted mailings. Moreover, some of the companies that use The Bereavement Register® may use the Deceased Details to assist in the prevention of fraud and identity theft.
Personal data will not be retained for longer than necessary for us to achieve the purpose for which we obtained your personal data. We will then either securely delete it or anonymise it so that it cannot be linked back to you. We review our retention periods for personal data on a regular basis.
We will retain personal data for the reasons noted below:
- To respond to enquiries and complaints;
- To demonstrate that your instructions were carried out properly; and
- To maintain records to meet rules and regulatory requirements that are applicable to the request you made or the service you were using.
- We can keep your data for longer than stated above if we cannot delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons.
REaD group are ISO27001 certified and a fully functional Information Security Management System (ISMS) is in place managed by an Internal Steering Committee. In addition, the group have a fully functional GDPR compliance programme which uses the ISO27001 framework. REaD group hold the following certifications and memberships : DMA Data Seal and DMA membership and the group is registered with the Information Commissioners Office.
For full details of our retention policies, please contact REaD Group on 020 7089 6400.
If you change your mind about us processing your personal information at any time we must act upon your requests. You can:
a. Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- This is called a Subject Access Request (“SAR”) and we must:
- Tell you whether your personal information is being processed;
- Give you a description of the personal information, the reasons it is being processed, and whether it will be given to any other organisations or people;
- Give you a copy of the information comprising the data; and given details of the source of the data (where this is available).
- We will ask for proof of identification before complying with your SAR. We have to respond to you within 1 month of your request. It can take us time to make sure we have checked all of our archives. Certain types of personal information are exempt from the right of subject access, details of these exemptions can be found at https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/exemptions/.
b. Request the removal of your details from REaD Group’s database.
c. Ask us to update or rectify the information REaD Group Ltd hold about you.
d. Ask us to stop sending you emails and other forms of marketing communication.
e. Ask us to permanently erase any information we hold about you.
f. Ask us to transfer all of your personal information to another company.
You can email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to:
Data Protection Officer
REaD Group Ltd
1 Newhams Row
If you have a complaint regarding the use of your information, please contact the Data Protection Office using the details provided above. We will carry out a full investigation into the use of your information. We aim to respond to all complaints without undue delay, or in any event within 28 days from receipt.
Should you feel your complaint has not been effectively handled by REaD Group, you have the right to escalate your complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.
Last updated 05/02/2021